Herbal House by Katie
- Used as an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antimicrobial and antidepressant
- Helps rid of free radicals in and on our bodies
- Relief for dry, irritated and acne-prone skin
- When applied topically it stimulates the lymphatic system, which helps detoxify your skin and lessons the amount of free radicals
- Used as a toner for skin due to the antimicrobial and antioxidant properties
- Citrus oils offer our bodies a sense of happiness and uplifting. This makes it a great oil to use in a diffuser to help with symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Sweet Orange oil is phototoxic. Phototoxicity is a chemically induced skin irritation that requires exposure to light, such as UV rays from the sun. The irritation appearance is similar to a raised sunburn
- When using sweet orange oil topically, REMEMBER to protect your skin at least 8-12 hours after application
- Tea Tree
A little science!
Let’s learn a bit about free radicals; what they are and how antioxidants (such as this oil) help with ridding of them:
“The body is under constant attack from oxidative stress. Oxygen in the body splits into single atoms with unpaired electrons. Electrons like to be in pairs, so these atoms, called free radicals, scavenge the body to seek out other electrons so they can become a pair. This causes damage to cells, proteins and DNA." - Christopher Wanjek
Christopher Wanjek is a journalist who received his bachelor's degree in journalism from Temple University. He received his master’s degree from Harvard School of Public Health. Wanjek is the author of Bad Medicine: Misconceptions and Misuses Revealed, from Distance Healing to Vitamin O and of Food At Work: Workplace Solutions for Malnutrition, Obesity and Chronic Diseases.
- Add 5-7 drops of sweet orange oil in a diffuser for an uplifting experience.
- If you don’t have a diffuser you can add 4-5 drops of sweet orange into a warm bath. First dilute the sweet orange in a tablespoon of a carrier oil; such as grapeseed oil, fractionated coconut oil or apricot oil, then add to the bath and enjoy!